10 April 2013

31. The Perks of Being a Wallflower


Again, I've heard very good reviews about the movie so I just had to read it and explore the very core of Charlie's world.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower has to be one of those books one could really relate to. It's very realistic, insightful and poignant. 

"So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be."

Charlie needs a friend who'll listen to him and he found his friend in the company of a few paper, a pen, a random address and a mailbox. 

While Charlie isn't really the exact role model, he is such a proof that being different is okay. That you can still make a difference. "We are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose wherever we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them."


We may not be as gifted as Charlie (I also think he's kind of weak, sorry) but I know deep within us is a wallflower. We're just a bit lucky on the guts department. People often sayou can never really understand a person until you walk in their shoes but I beg to disagree because I strongly believe that you can understand someone IF you really try to understand wholeheartedly. There's a big difference between understanding and "just" understanding for the sake of understanding. 

I must say - Stephen Chbosky is a wonderful storyteller. He made sure you can feel every character of the story. It's like you've known the characters all your life and that's one of the reasons why I so like the book. I know it's kind of a sad book but the happiness you feel as you witness a blooming flower is priceless. 


Dear Charlie, 

I am very happy that you've surpassed such an ordeal. Continue to be unconsciously strong and unflinchingly accepting to things you cannot alter. Thank you for the cute mix tapes, the fair share of literature and those little nothings that I wrote in my planner which I can rely on to further my mental wellness. Given the chance, I'd love to be your friend. 

Love always,
M x


No comments:

Post a Comment