01 March 2013

2. Looking for Alaska



***Before. Miles “Pudge” Halter’s whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the “Great Perhaps” (François Rabelais, poet) even more. Then he heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.
After. Nothing is ever the same.***

I think this is my favorite John Green book and Alaska probably is my favorite John Green literary character. She is such an example of "don't judge a book by its cover" for three reasons: (not because she's ugly because SHE IS pretty much very beautiful) 
  •  although she smokes and drinks, she is intelligent. She can't be the Queen of Pranks if she ain't brilliant. :) 
  • just because she laughs and a lot and do so many crazy stuffs doesn't necessarily mean she's really a happy person. Sometimes, an unhappy (probably problematic) person puts on a very big smile just so she can run away from her problems even just for a little while...
  • “When I look at my room, I see a girl who loves books.”  -Alaska 

*SPOILER ALERT*
 This book isn’t about a state in the United States, situated in the northwest extremity of the North American continent, with the international boundary with Canada to the east, the Arctic Ocean to the north, and the Pacific Ocean to the west and south, with Russia further west across the Bering Strait. 
Just. Please. Read. This. Book.
PS: I’m pretty sure you’ll love the lines  hidden inside that paperback over there.  This is one of my faves,
“I may die young, but at least I’ll die smart.”  -Alaska Young
Love,
M x

No comments:

Post a Comment