13 March 2013

Habemus Papam Franciscum!!!

Habemus Papam Franciscum is We have Pope Francis in English. It's the new Pontiff's first tweet which has already been retweeted 52,981 times and favorited 13,361 times as of this moment (04:42 AM PH time). 


Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio is a 76-year-old Argentinian Jesuit until Wednesday, March 13 at 7ish PM, when his fellow cardinals voted for him to be the new Pope. He is the first non-European Pope, the first Latin American. He was elected the new Pope after the 5th round of voting on the second day of conclave. He chose the name Francis (St. Francis of Assisi) as it symbolizes humility, poverty and simplicity. The new Pope, like the name he chose, has been living a quiet and simple life. Back in Argentina, he doesn't grant interviews so often and doesn't want to, if only he has the choice. If he goes elsewhere, to Rome for example, he flies economy class. Wow. He doesn't have a car and rides the public bus to work, he even cooks his own meal. He is the 266th pope and the 265th successor to the apostle Peter AND my third pope. :)

He is considered a straight-shooter who calls things as he sees them, and a follower of the church's most conservative wing.

Wow! It feels amazing. Just amazing! 

Pope Francis waves and smiles to the large crowd.

"As you know, the duty of the conclave was to appoint a bishop of Rome. It seems to me that my brother cardinals have chosen one who is from faraway. ... Here I am. I would like to thank you for your embrace." -Pope Francis I


Personally, I like him. The very first time I saw him as the new Pontiff, he made my heart happy. I'm pretty confident he'll do his job. He looks so cute and so lovable. It seems like he's really very down-to-earth, very approachable. He looks like a Pope. And I cannot wait to see him do his Papal "chores". I sometimes miss seeing Pope John Paul II in Vatican, presiding mass. He was my first Pope after all. But seeing Pope Francis up there, seems like he really was born to be one. I can tell, he kind of looks like Pope John Paul II from afar. (which is a good sign, for me at least) His Papal "cassock" or whatever it's called even looks so good on him, like he's worn it several times already. 

Vatican says Pope Francis' inaugural mass will be held on March 19, Tuesday but will most probably say Mass this Sunday, March 17th. 

God bless you, Pope Francis. Please visit us soon. 

Kisses from the Philippines!!!

Love,
M x

No comments:

Post a Comment